Friday, December 28, 2007

First 'Galloway' style run ...

I tried the run/walk training method expounded by Jeff Galloway yesterday, and have to say ... I'm still not entirely convinced.

I know that I can run 10km in around 65 minutes - 'cause I've done it before. And I know I can run 5km in around 30 minutes.

But I also know that when I tried on the treadmill (*) yesterday, doing 4 mins at 10km/hr and 1 min at 6km/hr, (repeat 6 times) that meant that I only ran 4.5km in 30 minutes.

Yes, the 'interval' nature of the training meant I burned more calories - but at the end, I felt no 'stronger', or 'better' than I would have if I had run at a steady pace.

Having said that, I haven't run regularly for weeks, and so I may not have been able to maintain the 10km/hr pace required for a 30 minute 5km - so I'll try a straight 5km run on Sunday with the roadrunners, and then try the run/walk again on Tuesday.

(*) This stupid achilles tendon is still a tad tender - so I thought that running on the road was probably not all that wise. But jeez treadmills can be boring!

No comments: